Wednesday, November 19, 2008

It's Been a While

My life has been busy the past few days, which has been good for me in the way of not thinking too much about hard things. The other reason that I haven't been able to blog is because I found that the only things that I've been writing about have been melancholy because that is all that's been on my mind. So, for at least a week, I promise to only say things that are fun, light hearted, or nice. That is for myself as well as you.

So, tonight I want to go simple for myself and just make a recommendation to you. If you have children, or if you just need to be reminded of the simple message of the gospel- the overall, big picture of the Bible....well, I recommend this book.Goodness gracious, me oh my! It's wonderful. Why you ask? Well, let me tell you! First of all, my favorite part is that it starts off very clearly explaining that some people think the bible is a book of rules, and it's not. Some people think that it is a book of heros, it's not. There are some of those things in it, but the Bible is really a love story. Every chapter (which are the classic stories) ends by foreshadowing that God was going to save the world and relates the message of each story to Jesus coming.

Let me give you an example. When we read about Joseph (the one with the coat who had brothers that sold him into slavery and wanted him dead, and later went on to save those same brothers from famine...etc...) when we read about him here is what the last paragraph said:

"One day, God would send another Prince, a young Prince whose heart would break. Like Joseph, he would leave his home and his Father. His brothers would hate him and want him dead. He would be sold for pieces of silver. He would be punished even though he had done nothing wrong. But God would use everything that happened to this young Prince - even the bad things - to do something good: to forgive the sins of the whole world."

Now, I may be simple minded and you all may have thought about all of those similarities before. In fact, I am sure that quite a few of you have. I just never pieced all of those things together. I like that this book does that for me, a person who sometimes needs to remember the simplicity of God's plan. Yes, there are complications, but the part we need to keep in the front of our minds is simple.

Second, (and some of you may take issue with this) but I like that they take a few liberties here and there to make the story interesting to kids. I find that none of it is going to mess up the way a kid thinks, but they use more descriptive vocabulary and illustrate with their words so beautifully. It never changes the story, but it also puts a little detail in that sometimes you wouldn't get in a children's Bible. Awesome stuff here guys. I love it for me- I am not ashamed of it!

Third, I am not sure what it is, but somehow it helps piece things together for a kid. Curly is really understanding the concepts here because it ties it all together and repeats things for her often enough that she remembers and understands it. I will ask her questions as we go along to see if she is understanding and often be surprised by what she answers with. This also helps in knowing what to explain more thoroughly. Like I said, I am not sure what does that exactly.

So, to remind you of my ever illusive point...ahem (oh, wait...I guess you probably got it huh?). Well, to reiterate then, you should look into getting this Bible, no matter who you are. I l-o-v-e it! Also, to give credit where it is due- this find is of course the work of none other than our Vicky. Gotta love her. What would our family be without her? She is a part of us in so many ways and we are blessed to have her. Thanks for the wonderful loan that became a gift...he he he (Ernie snicker alert).

1 comment:

Vicky said...

Well, I don't know where I'd be without your family, so I guess we're even :) You share your kids with me, I share a Jesus book with you.

Merry Christmas Alexis! (for other readers, I had planned to give this to Alexis for Christmas, and I "loaned" her my copy. Except she fell in love with it so much that I didn't want to take it away. So she's keeping my copy and I'm getting a new copy. Seriously people, it's excellent and you should get it too!)