Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Real Mirror

Yesterday our MOPS topic was self image. It's an area that the Lord has really done a lot of teaching and preparation with me, so I was asked to do the Mommy Moment.

I just wanted to share here, since it kind of brought renewal for me in that area where I had kind of lost my focus.

The “theme” today is something very near to my heart. Self image, or as our topic is called, House of Mirrors.

For me, that’s a perfect example. Many mirrors that stretch and skew me. It feels like I am in a house of mirrors- running through it searching for the REAL mirror, the one that reflects the actual me.

Sometimes I think I’ve found it, or I do glimpse it, but something gets in the way, or I look down to find that I have HUGE feet. The whole picture, the real me, is not visible to me.

Often I believe for awhile that I actually do have huge feet. I then shop for really big shoes and go around acting as though I am what I saw. People I meet are left to just assume that I am right. Because I believe I have large feet and hide my normal ones in large shoes, they only see me as having the large feet.

This limits me. You can imagine that walking around in clown shoes would prevent me from being the rock climber that, in actuality, I really am. Truly, I should be barefoot. I was given all I needed for my gift of climbing at birth.

The mirror that I seek will show the true me- the person I actually am in all my beauty and glory. And I am glorious. I am created in God’s image.

GOD’S IMAGE.

I am a reflection of God’s glory. Gather in your mind what that means.

You are a reflection of God almighty. God who is so glorious that the Bible says if a man were to see Him, he would surely die.

It is a challenge to find that mirror. It’s like a maze, and I have to say- I have been seeing myself through that mirror with a big bump in the middle lately. But I have to realize that believing that mirror is a disgrace to the One I reflect.

What mirror have you been stuck in front of? Walk away from it and let people see the real you- even if you still think your feet are big. When you start seeing the jaded mirrors for what they are, seeing through their faults, other people can see you as your true self as well. Take off the big shoes and run barefoot. Discover your gift of climbing.

One of my favorite quotes, one that was part of a process that has been changing my life in the last two years, and perhaps one you have heard before is this:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." -Marianne Williamson

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amber this is from Vikki (rileys mom, your old boss) that is my absolute favorite quote.
I have it framed and in my"woo woo corner" of my house. I've begun reading your blog, and I have to say that from one writer to another, the beauty and truth of your words has truly moved me. Thank you!

Derek said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Derek said...

This quote made me think of how much our (my) sin must grieve the Lord's heart when He knows what we were meant to be. Then, can't you imagine a great smile coming across His face (and it's on mine too, now) whenever He thinks about the Redemption through His Son - life exchanged and "it is good" reclaimed (think Gen 1)?

Derek said...

P.S. Hope you don't mind - I stumbled across your blog, and it made me laugh so I read a bit more. I have a feeling your blog was meant more for women, or at least people you know. I don't think I fit your projected demographics - I'm a young guy, and I don't think I know you. However, I love my siblings (and kids in general) a ton and one of them is 12 years younger, so I remember some of the things you described (we were homeschooled, so I was there for most of the excitement). Anyway, didn't mean to be long-winded - hope you didn't mind me reading your blog. You seem like an awesome mom with a great heart for the Lord. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and the great photos.